• You cannot reply to this topic

Whatever happened to...?
Paxton Crawford, and others...

BigTime34 

• A Lancaster
  • Pip
  • Group: Royal Rooters

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:04 PM

Pena blew out his elbow twice, had Tommy John Surgury, and never regained his form. Sad times.

MargoAdamsLoveChild 

• I Eliminate Punks, Cut 'Em Up In Chunks
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Front Office

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:08 PM

I knew what happened to him, but was more wondering if he was still hanging on somewhere. Oh well. Not like he's going to pop up and win 18 for us anytime soon.

#43 Guest_Pat Dobson 22_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:14 PM

This thread is great..Steve Curry, Steve Ellsworth, Steve Lomansey, Cole Liniak, and future ace Rob Woodward..yessiree hold onto them Red Sox prospects! lord knows how many of these future stars are selling insurance or running gas stations somewhere, ah it just goes to show what a crapshoot prospects are.

Nuf Ced 

• Disgraced Former Owner
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:17 PM

Some players don't know when to quit

up in Nashua

Dante Bichette
Henry Rodriguez

Love of Sox 

• Rooters Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Rooters Supporter

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:20 PM

A few years from now, I'll revive this thread and add Murton to the list. What about guys like Dana Kieker, not a prospect but as savior to be. On an aside: I remember one of my friends used to say "I'm boltin'" as in "I'm leaving." So I used to take it as "Bolton" and say "I'm Leister." :)

This post has been edited by sdwebguy: 05 August 2004 - 03:22 PM

HardcoreJimmyK 

• I like potato salad.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:21 PM

Bichette happens.

Where's Bryant Nelson?

Wilhemus Remmerswaal 

• And it's lend me ten pounds and I'll buy you a drink.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:22 PM

MargoAdamsLoveChild, on Aug 5 2004, 03:59 PM, said:

What's Juan Pena's deal? He and Paxton Crawford were once our Wood and Prior. Alas, what might have been.

-MALC
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember his 2-0 start a few years back, w/ one of the two an impresssive one vs. the Yankees.

Cruel, cruel, word.

BigTime34 

• A Lancaster
  • Pip

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:22 PM

Dewayne Hosey, LaShelle Tarver...

Bob Zupcic 

• A Lancaster
  • Pip

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:24 PM

NJSoxFan, on Jan 7 2004, 10:47 AM, said:

remember Bob Zupzic?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No...who's he? :D

mascho 

• If anything goes wrong, Desmond Hume will be my constant...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:26 PM

Pat Dobson 22, on Aug 5 2004, 04:10 PM, said:

....Steve Lomansey...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Steve F. Lomansey...

Perhaps Peabody High's most legendary QB/FS...

...that freak absolutely drilled me on back-to-back safety blitzes one Friday night under the lights in Peabody...put his helmet right on my throwing elbow. I had a family wedding the next day and I had a tough time getting my suit on over my elbow, which had swollen to the size of a melon...

Anyone else humming *Glory Days?*

mipakaco 

• Draft Choice
  • Group: New Member

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:15 PM

Brian Rose Comeback, on Jan 7 2004, 11:20 AM, said:

I always wanted to know what happend to Brian Rose.  I remember him being traded to the Rockies, then he was with the Mets, than he was gone.  It makes you wonder what would've happend if we kept Pavano and gave up Rose instead.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He lives in my town. He had been out of baseball since 2001 with various arm problems. He was traded to the Rockies in 2000 after being with the Sox. He was then traded from the Rockies to the Devil Rays, and then to the Mets all in a course of 1 year. Then he got hurt and has been out since then. He signed a minor league contract this year with the Reds, and I believe he is still in their farm system somewhere.

mipakaco 

• Draft Choice
  • Group: New Member

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:28 PM

What about that lefty Vaughn Eshelman? I recall he came on like gangbusters when he was first called up in '95 (4 or 5 straight wins), but he disappeared off the face of the earth.

DieHard3 

• A Lancaster
  • Pip
  • Group: Banned

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:45 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This thread is great..Steve Curry, Steve Ellsworth, Steve Lomansey, Cole Liniak, and future ace Rob Woodward..yessiree hold onto them Red Sox prospects! lord knows how many of these future stars are selling insurance or running gas stations somewhere, ah it just goes to show what a crapshoot prospects are.

Calling some of th0se players "prospects" is stretching the definition of the term almost beyond recognition. Everybody who puts up decent numbers in AAA doesn't qualify as a prospect. It's also selective memory. Mike Maroth, David Eckstein, Chris Reitsma, and Lew Ford, while never to be confused with stars (except for some idiots in the media with Eckstein) would be helping this team immensely right now if they hadn't been cast aside for marginal to average major leaguers three years ago.

It's a 70 percent proposition to spot the "stars" that Jolmy talks about (was Nomar a sure-fire star when he hit .267 and slugged .390 as a 22 year old in AA?), but the real difference between the farm systems of the Twins, Angels, and Red Sox is the ability to spot the Lew Ford's and the David Eckstein's. Youkilis is unlikely to be a star but he does project to major league average, because the only hole he has in his game is a lack of power. Shoppach on the other hand, while having a higher upside, also may have trouble being anything more than a marginal major league backup because of his inability to get the bat on the ball. In some cases, you'd probably rather trade Shoppach's upside for Youkilis' certainty in the same way the Red Sox would have been better off DFAing Sadler and his "promise" in 2000 instead of Eckstein's very projectable marginally league average performance.

OilCan Jolmy 

• Lee Smith > Jeff Reardon
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:45 PM

Kevin Morton?

redsox king 

• Gulf Coast

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:00 PM

Robinson "The Dominican Mystery Man" Checo!!

MargoAdamsLoveChild 

• I Eliminate Punks, Cut 'Em Up In Chunks
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Front Office

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:53 PM

Rudy Pemberton. The Sam Horn of the late 90s. (Perhaps we should start a Sons of Rudy Pemberton site?)

#57 Guest_Pat Dobson 22_*

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:31 PM

DieHard3, on Aug 5 2004, 05:41 PM, said:

Calling some of th0se players "prospects" is stretching the definition of the term almost beyond recognition.  Everybody who puts up decent numbers in AAA doesn't qualify as a prospect.  It's also selective memory.  Mike Maroth, David Eckstein, Chris Reitsma, and Lew Ford, while never to be confused with stars (except for some idiots in the media with Eckstein) would be helping this team immensely right now if they hadn't been cast aside for marginal to average major leaguers three years ago.

It's a 70 percent proposition to spot the "stars" that Jolmy talks about (was Nomar a sure-fire star when he hit .267 and slugged .390 as a 22 year old in AA?), but the real difference between the farm systems of the Twins, Angels, and Red Sox is the ability to spot the Lew Ford's and the David Eckstein's.  Youkilis is unlikely to be a star but he does project to major league average, because the only hole he has in his game is a lack of power.  Shoppach on the other hand, while having a higher upside, also may have trouble being anything more than a marginal major league backup because of his inability to get the bat on the ball.  In some cases, you'd probably rather trade Shoppach's upside for Youkilis' certainty in the same way the Red Sox would have been better off DFAing Sadler and his "promise" in 2000 instead of Eckstein's very projectable marginally league average performance.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sure never thought these guys were prospects but denying that the Red sox hype machine did'nt make predictions and pin hopes on them is not true, these guys were mentioned often (Woodward only in his first couple of years technicaly) in the media, predictions etc... I agree though some of the guys we've had could of helped...but like a said a crapshoot..need better scouting maybe? Hey where's Greg Blosser? Or former Sox on the rise Mickey Pina? the list is endless ..........

DieHard3 

• A Lancaster
  • Pip
  • Group: Banned

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:37 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I sure never thought these guys were prospects but denying that the Red sox hype machine did'nt make predictions and pin hopes on them is not true, these guys were mentioned often (Woodward only in his first couple of years technicaly) in the media, predictions etc... I agree though some of the guys we've had could of helped...but like a said a crapshoot..need better scouting maybe? Hey where's Greg Blosser? Or former Sox on the rise Mickey Pina? the list is endless ..........
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

But if they're just the best prospects in a poor system then that's meaningless. Of course they were hyped by the team, but were they top 100 prospects by Baseball America? No way Woodward or Curry ever cracked that list. Maybe Blosser, but even with him you could see the strikeout totals being a flashing red neon sign screaming, "Don't get too excited here."

You overshoot the degree to which its a crapshoot if you don't look at these guys relative to all of baseball and just focus on the Red Sox rankings. It would do people wonders to remember this when touting the supposed "improvement" in the Red Sox system since Theo started drafting low ceiling college pitchers with marginal fastballs.

#59 Guest_Pat Dobson 22_*

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:53 PM

Exactly I never buy the hype because really Baseball really does'nt really look to kindly on our prospects..but I mean I remeber people talking up Lomansey like they do Shoppach now and these guys just don't project... the problem is'nt that I think the Red Sox have good prospects but many of the fanbase does buy the hype..and it creates for some unreal scenarios, Crapshoot maybe not.. but overshoot out of the Red Sox hype machine absolutly. I remeber mumblings of hype out of the front office about Juan Diaz...and his awesome power numbers but hey this is the same club that once had high hopes for signing Billy Joe Robidoux and Shane Rawley oh that strike shortened spring! off topic but I'm with you here
Don't beleive the hype!

CamNeely8 

• Gulf Coast

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:27 AM

Carlos Quintana was the one that I always remember... I think it was a motorcycle injury that ultimately ended his days.

All this talk reminds me of when Kevin Maas was supposed to be the new Mickey Mantle in NY... boy was his Upper Deck card a hot commodity!

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users